Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Countdown to a New Identity: Stay At Home Mom

In 24 days I will be taking my numerous diplomas off my office wall and bringing them home, most likely to sit on the floor of our home office for an indeterminable amount of time. As I take down these indicators of my profession as an attorney at a legal office, I also strip away this identity that I’ve now been used to having for a few years. And the new identity I will assume is very different: that of a 100% stay at home mom. Wow!

Everyone knows I’ve been yapping about staying at home with Kalev for ages. Ever since I got pregnant I realized I wanted to be home with the tiny flutterings inside me that soon turned into the most beautiful baby. I talked and talked and talked about it but didn’t think it could happen. Then I went on maternity leave and spent five blissful months at home with Kalev. It was the happiest time of my life. I didn’t feel stressed for the first time I could remember since junior high! Despite waking up every two hours nightly to nurse, I felt refreshed. Why was this? Scientifically, I was pumping oxytocin like crazy because I nursed all day and night. I wasn’t thinking about work, which typically stresses me out since I always feel like I have so much to do there and never enough time. I wasn’t on a schedule. For the first time in my life this super organized crazy scheduler that used to color code her calendar didn’t even look at her calendar. Or wear a watch. Instead, I watched Kalev. When he was tired, we slept. Yes, WE. I took so many naps I couldn’t believe it. And what amazing, deep, peaceful naps they were as I cuddled my baby in my arms, our rhythmic breathes mingling together as we slept. When we needed to move, we walked the dogs and inhaled the beauty of the nature around us. We visited with friends, we joined La Leche League, I exercised and I showered every single day. It was amazing. And I knew, deep to my core, I needed to stay home with Kalev.

When I went back to work it was hard, as all new mothers will tell you. I soon got caught up in my to-do list, my schedule, my clients, my program. And I left my baby at home with a babysitter. I felt awful. Every time I pumped at my desk I begrudged not nursing my baby and making someone else give him a bottle instead of me being there for him. When he started to realize I was leaving in the mornings and cried as I walked out the door, my 15-minute drive was often marked with tears. The guilt grew. Things got easier, as they always do, because you got used to the routine, but it still was not a routine that I liked. And I still felt guilty and so so sad. And like I was missing out on my one chance to do this with Kalev. Soon, so soon, he’ll be grown, in kindergarten or even going to USC (yes, watching Beth go through this change this year really brought the perspective home for us). So Matt and I started talking. Seriously talking. How can we make this happen? We both wanted it, and it felt so amazing to know I have such a supportive husband. Ya, it took some convincing, but there was one day when he looked me in the eyes over Kalev’s blond little head bent over sorting our flip flops into baskets and said “You need to stay home.” So we made it happen. We downsized (more on that in a different post some day) and we planned. Sometime it was going to happen. We weren’t sure when, but sometime soon.

And then it just came together. Kalev got sick for the first time around 11 months. It was awful. I panicked. I was the opposite of my goal of mindful, patient, at peace mama. I cried when he cried. I was up all night nursing him as his body radiated a heat I could never imagine. It sucked. And in the middle of the night Matt and I looked at each other and said “Ok, it’s time. Time to stay home.” So when I returned to work, I went to tell my friend, my boss. And I was terrified. I shook all day but knew I just had to do it, because then it would be out there and we couldn’t go back (like this blog!). When it was five minutes before we normally left and I entered her office with my eyes big with fright and my body shaking, I tried to think of how to tell her. Well I didn’t have to. She guessed. (After she guessed I was pregnant and she was wrong :-)) As I sat on the chair deflating and telling her how happy I was that she didn’t hate me, she said that she knew this is what I wanted and she wanted me to be happy (and that she’d miss me too). And it is what I want. So incredibly badly. So why, now that there are 24 days left, am I suddenly freaking out?

As I’ve been trying to identify these feelings, I think I realize one of the big culprits. Yes, I don’t like change and this is big big big change, but I think more of this is my unexpected concern over my new identity. Before having Kalev I never thought of being a stay at home mom. I was always on the professional track. And now when people ask what I’m going to do I answer “Just stay at home.” I really hate that “just.” There is so much more to being a stay at home mom than “just” staying at home. I’ve taken classes and read books about it. It’s not only a full time job, it’s an amazing experience for yourself and your child. A priceless experience that no babysitter could ever duplicate and one with a very set expiration date since babies grow up. I know this. So why the qualifier? Why do I then often go on to tell people that I’ll probably look for contract work. Because even if that’s true, partly for financial reasons and partly because I actually realized I like estate planning, it’s not why I am leaving my job and it’s not what I plan to do when I’m home. I plan to recreate my maternity leave bliss. And I can’t wait. So why the lengthy explanations to people? Why don’t I feel that me staying home and raising my son myself is a good enough reason?

Part of it is because of the looks I see in many people’s eyes and the qualifiers they use when they seem surprised that I’m choosing to stay home. It makes me feel defensive. And that I have to explain why this is a good reason. Although isn’t my happiness and my child’s happiness enough?

Do other stay at home moms feel this way? That you have to defend your decision as an acceptable one? That it’s justified? That we don’t sit around drinking coffee and watching Kim Kardashian all day? How do you respond when people say you’re “just” a stay at home mom (or dad)? I want to embrace this new identity, but I hate that there’s this part of me that’s scared about it and feels like I have to defend it. This is a priceless gift I am giving myself and my baby. How do you convey this to other people? Or do you not try?

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer! I can't wait to read more. I love that you are working on being present. I'm attempting that with the people (and Cleveland) in my life.

    I look forward to your post on downsizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristi...it's been a while! I've been at home for over a year. It's great. You will never regret it. Work can wait. I've had job offers since being at home and the money would be nice, but I will never regret our humble home, but I would regret not knowing my daughters as well as I do. Just wait until Kalev starts to talk and you realize just how much he's learned from YOU. Anyway, I don't say "just at home"...I say "I'm lucky and get to be at home". Some people won't understand your decision and may judge you...so invite them over for dinner one night for a candid look at your family and your role as Mom and they'll be enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a non-parent with no basis for answering this question, just want to say that I can't wait to see you so happy again :) Not to sound trite, but...we are so easy to judge what we don't understand. I don't think most people are being cruel in their reaction to you as a soon-to-be stay-at-home mom, so much as expressing genuine surprise. It's just not part of our cultural narrative as graduate school-educated, middle class, women in California, you know? We're supposed to grow up, go to college, get married, have kids...and work 40+ hours a week while raising them, doing the housework, satisfying our man, etc., etc. And, we'll have it ALL! Whoo hoo!

    Anyhow...it's my personal, cheesy belief that we are our best selves when we are able to unravel the norms that bind us and figure out what REALLY makes us tick. And you, my friend, are truly in your element as a mom. Here's hoping all your dreams come true as a stay-at-home mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the support :-) And Claire, it's great to hear from you and to see your beautiful girls! Congratulations! I love your response and will start using it and seeing how it goes. I know I won't regret this decision and I'm very excited. Elaine, I am so happy to be Happy Kristi again! I know it will be great. And I think you are so right about the super mom and super wife expectations in our society. So it's important to really sit down and determine what's the most important priorities and how to get them. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete