Thursday, May 29, 2014

Turning Off The Wandering and Turning On The Play




I feel like I haven't truly focused on my kids, on the interactions and the play instead of just the are-you-clothed-and-fed stuff, for months. Maybe since January. When the whole house hunt business started. That is insane. It makes me feel sick. And so sad. Months wasted as my brain couldn't focus but kept wandering. To to-do lists, to house dreams, to priorities, to wondering what-ifs, whens, hows. My brain just wouldn't stop. It constantly wandered. I'd look down and have a toy in my hand and see my son animatedly playing but I'd realize I didn't even know if we were playing construction site or Paw Patrol. He'd have to remind me when I asked. The unconditional love of a three year old for his mother allowed him to give me the answer and still want to play with me. And I didn't think much of it until yesterday when I think I finally started focusing again.

The house is moved. Most of the boxes are unpacked. I don't know if I've given up on the others or am in denial or am just okay with finally taking a break. The dishwasher has been ordered, the glass man came and that order submitted. The end of the year teachers’ gifts are mostly done. My board report is finished. So my to-do list finally shrank. The first few weeks of May saw all these different parts of my life crashing together, demanding my attention in more ways than they had the rest of the year. So that crest has passed. My brain is therefore naturally not as full. And so I can focus once again.

And when I focus I can see the light in my kids' eyes as they recognize a truly engaged parent. It's different. They can tell. They can tell when my mind is wandering and that while my hands might make the toy car move across the couch my head just isn't there. And what does that say about my heart? And what I'm teaching my children about the most important thing in the world--the people you love? That it's ok to only pay them a fragment of your attention because you have a lot on your mind?

A month or so ago a bunch of people on Facebook linked to articles discussing having cell phone free time. To put down the electronics and engage with your kids. I totally support that idea (and am definitely guilty of texting and checking email wayyyyy too often on my phone) but what if the distraction isn't (just) the cell phone? It's all those things bouncing around in your head? How do you quiet those thoughts and tuck them away to a later time, a time when the eyes of your child aren't looking up at you with excitement, expectation and glee? I know these times are fleeting. That soon enough Kalev won't want to hold my hand just because. That he won't turn to me as his playmate. That the time we can sit on the floor together and build garages will soon be a memory. So how can I focus better on these times that I have now? To truly play with my children instead of just going through the motions while my mind is elsewhere?

If you haven't discovered Dr. Laura Markham of Aha! Parenting I highly suggest her. Great stuff there. Lots of thoughts and suggestions for incorporating play (and its importance) in you and your children's lives. So I have that resource. Matt and I try to use it. And I think it does help. But it still doesn't get to that core issue that I realize I have--how to turn off my mental wanderings and focus on the play. Would love thoughts, suggestions and what has worked for you. Because the change I've seen in my kids today and yesterday, that special laughter that I now realize is their complete happiness that their number one person in the world (yes, so very thankful that's still me for a few more years) is focusing on them and what is fun for them and makes them happy, is priceless. I need to see it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment